Adapted from a recipe on Allrecipes.com, this easy meal is perfect for doubling, allowing you to cook once and eat twice. For a low-carb alternative, try gluten-free pasta, quinoa, or rice. With seasonings on hand, the cost of kale, spaghetti, and eggs put the costs of this meal under $5 for four servings. And with the yummy Asian seasonings and plentiful pasta, your kids won’t even grouch about the kale!
1 bunch kale
12 oz. thin whole wheat spaghetti
1/3 c low-sodium soy sauce
½ t fresh grated ginger (or ¼ t dried ginger)
1 T minced garlic
1 t crushed red pepper (optional)
1T sesame seeds (optional)
garlic and pepper to taste
olive or coconut oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water. Set aside.
- Cut or tear kale into bite-sized pieces. Warm oil in a large saucepan, add minced garlic and brown.
- Add kale to saucepan and let wilt, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- When kale is wilted, add the thin spaghetti to the saucepan. Stir well with a slotted spoon until warmed through. Add soy sauce.
- Create a “nest” in the center of the pasta mixture with the spoon. Break eggs into the nest and gently stir the eggs, pulling them into the pasta until cooked through. If pasta is dry, add reserved pasta water to create a light sauce.
- Add garlic, pepper and soy sauce to taste.
- Serve warm.